The Sports Turf Managers Association has confirmed its 2021 Board of Directors.
The organization that represents 2,700 men and women who manage sports fields worldwide and whose input is critical to the safety of athletes and coaches, announced that Nick McKenna, certified sports field manager and assistant athletic field maintenance manager at Texas A&M has been elected president. Mr.
McKenna will serve a one-year term.
“STMA plays a vital role in the sports field management community, never more so than this past year,” McKenna, newly-elected president, said. “I am eager to continue strengthening the community of STMA members and collaborating with the board of directors to ensure our members have the resources and support to maintain the safest playing surfaces in the world.”
Other elected-officers include:
• Immediate Past President – Jimmy Simpson, CSFM, facilities management coordinator, Town of Cary (Cary, NC)
• President-Elect – James Bergdoll, CSFM, director of Parks Maintenance, City of Chattanooga Public Works (Chattanooga)
• Commercial Vice President – Jeremy Bohonko, regional manager – Piedmont Region, Ewing Irrigation and Landscape Supply (Charlotte, NC)
• Secretary / Treasurer – Sun Roesslein, CSFM, NAAC Stadium manager, Jeffco Schools (Golden, Co.)
Directors fulfilling a second-year term:
• Academic Director – Adam Thoms, Ph.D., assistant professor, Iowa State University (Ames, Ia.)
• Higher Education Director –Clark Cox, CSFM, assistant athletics director of Sports Turf and Landscaping, University of South Carolina (Columbia, SC)
Members elected to director positions:
• Professional Facilities Director – Nicole Sherry, head groundskeeper, Baltimore Orioles (Baltimore, Md.)
• Commercial Director – Paula Sliefert, senior marketing manager, the Toro Company (Bloomington, Mn.)
• K-12 Director – Jeremy Driscoll, grounds supervisor, St. Marks High School (Wilmington, De.)
• At-Large Elected Director – Scott Thompson, CSFM, superintendent of Sports Fields and Grounds, Duke University (Durham, NC)
Members appointed to Director positions:
• At-Large Appointed Director – Alpha Jones, CSFM, director of Field Operations, Fayetteville Woodpeckers (Fayetteville, NC)
• Parks and Recreation Director – Brad Thedens, CSFM, park caretaker, City of Sioux Falls (Sioux Falls, SD)