Oldham Athletic has a new opportunity available for a Senior Groundsman to join the club’s existing grounds team.
Job Title: Senior Groundsman
Location: Boundary Park, Furtherwood Road OL1 2PA & Chapel Road Training Ground OL8 4QL & Clayton Playing fields opposite Little Wembley
Reports To: Head Groundsman and Stadium & Facilities Manager
Internal Liaison: Head Groundsman, Stadium & Facilities Manager, Grounds & Maintenance Team, First Team Management, Academy
Working Hours: 37.5 Hours per week plus attendance at all home fixtures
Salary: Dependent on experience
The Senior Groundsman is to work with the Head Groundsman to ensure the delivery of playing surfaces at all sites to the highest standards are maintained in a good and safe condition.
It may be made of natural turf, synthetic turf or a combination of both. To be responsible for the delivery of grounds maintenance associated services and processes that support the operation of all sites, setting and ensuring the highest standards of safety, landscaping and grounds maintenance for OAFC’s employees and customers.
The roles and responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- To lead and assist in the organization of the grounds team’s day to day duties.
- To deliver high quality grounds maintenance at all OAFC sites to the highest standards.
- To organise the ground staff and general running of the grounds when the Head Groundsman is not available.
- To be responsible for allocated ground maintenance tasks from start to completion including line marking, cylinder mowing, rotary mowing, divoting, irrigation, overseeding, fertilizing, spraying, tractor and tractor mounted equipment work and any other grounds maintenance and landscape maintenance tasks that are required.
- To achieve the external and internal standards required in relation to playing surfaces and landscapes.
- To support match day operations in all first team competitions.
- To ensure the weekly/day to day operation for the delivery of grounds services at OAFC sites is to the highest standard, in line with health and safety, legislative, environmental and certifying authorities’ compliance and best practice.
- To monitor the results of the grounds maintenance service and suggest and deliver improvements.
- To keep hard surfaces in good tidy condition, tasks include sweeping and weeding.
- To ensure the machines, equipment and facilities are well maintained.
- To assist with gritting and clearing snow as required.
- To liaise and organize contractors at all OAFC sites when required by the Head Groundsman.
- Be available for the required training as prescribed by the football club.
- Any other duties as required and directed by the Owner, Stadium & Facilities Manager or Club Secretary.
Skills & Experience Required
- Qualified with/ or working towards NVQ Level 2 in Sports Turf Management or equivalent Qualification.
- Experience in working on professional sports pitches is desirable.
- PA1, 2a and 6 Spraying certificates are desirable.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to remain calm under pressure.
- Ability to lead a team to achieve the desired standards.
- A firm understanding of health and saftey.
How to apply to apply
Please provide your CV plus a covering letter including why you would be the ideal candidate for the role, your previous experience and salary expectations to: Dean Pickering Jnr (Head Groundsman) – Groundsman@oldhamathletic.co.uk
Applicants should include their salary expectations within the covering letter.
Closing date for applications is Friday 15 September 2023 5pm, due to urgency of this role we may conduct interviews before the closing date. All interviews will be at the earliest available opportunity.