Brentford FC is an organisation which values and is passionate about diversity and inclusivity. Whilst our recruitment decisions are always based on merit and suitability, we welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates, including those from underrepresented groups – such as those from ethnically diverse backgrounds, women, those from the LGBTQ+ community and those with disabilities.
Brentford FC is committed to equality, the safeguarding and welfare of all children and adults at risk. This responsibility is shared by all staff and volunteers at the club, safeguarding is everyone’s responsibility. Staff will be required to undertake regular safeguarding training to enable and reinforce a proactive approach to safeguarding. This role requires the post holder to apply all relevant policies and uphold the club’s commitment to safeguarding vulnerable people to ensure a safe environment for all. This includes the timely reporting of any safeguarding concern to the safeguarding team.
At Brentford FC we want everyone to feel valued and included. Therefore, we will do what we can to support applicants with disabilities and long-term health conditions as part of our application process. If you require any adjustments or support, please contact us on email@example.com and we will do our best to accommodate your requirements in line with the Equality Act 2010.
The Role of the Deputy Head Grounds person at the Gtech Stadium
We require a world-class Deputy Head Grounds person to help us build up and manage our pitch maintenance and management resources. This is a vital role at Brentford FC – we aim to have the best stadium pitch in the Premier League, and we are committed to continuing to invest in this area over the coming seasons.
The ideal candidate will have a track record of delivering an outstanding playing surface at an elite level. They will have experience of working and leading an in-house team of ground staff, as well as the ability to lead any use of seasonal/ matchday contracting staff at the Club. We would expect this person to have a deep knowledge of pitch maintenance. This candidate will also have experience of presenting and servicing a stadium pitch for multi-use, including the contracted professional Rugby club.
This person will have very strong communication skills which will ensure that communication with coaches and other pitch users underpins the processes which enable the delivery of world-class stadium pitch. They will have a strong attention to detail, excellent planning and be able to lead a team that presents and maintains a world class stadium pitch. Ideally, they will also have existing management experience.
- Maintain the Gtech Community Stadium pitch for multi-use, including the contracted professional rugby club.
- Report to the Head Grounds person at the Gtech Community Stadium for the multi-use of the stadium pitch.
- Undertaking general maintenance operations associated with pitch and stadium management and be confident in using their own initiative to carry out the relevant duties within this role to support the Head Grounds person.
- Divoting and repairing of stadium pitch after match and any training sessions.
- Undertaking general routine maintenance operations including:
- Use of tractors and other various tractor implements
- Use of pedestrian/hand-held machinery
- Setting up, preparing and maintaining of the pitch to a high standard
- Setting and marking out of stadium pitch and technical areas
- Applying various fertilisers using a tractor mounted spreader or pedestrian spreader.
- Irrigation management.
- Grow light management and movement of rigs.
- Undersoil management.
- Ability to facilitate mini renovations using relevant equipment and processes.
- Manage the maintenance for the machinery by performing repairs or contracting maintenance services as needed.
- Track pitch usage and upkeep as well as anticipated long & short-term improvements and maintenance to include administrative tasks such as pitch testing, moisture readings, firmness, cut height and other specifics for preparing weekly reports for Head of Grounds and communication for weekly schedules.
- Keep the surrounding grounds properly cared for and landscaped.
- Lead members of the Ground staff within a stadium team to ensure that the Club is able to meet its target of delivering a world-class stadium pitch.
- Ensure facilities and practices meet health and safety requirements and that they comply with legislation.
- Use performance management techniques to monitor and demonstrate achievement of agreed service levels and to lead on improvement.
- This job description does not contain all the duties and responsibilities that may arise in this role, and you will need to undertake other duties as instructed or on initiative to ensure the safe operational functioning of the stadium.
- Expectation to be in attendance for at least 95% of football fixtures as this role will require a commitment towards working weekends and evenings, as well as bank holidays to suit the relevant football schedules. A flexible approach to working hours is required to meet the required timescales.
General Club Accountabilities
- To comply with all Club policies, including health and safety, data regulations and other legal, ethical, and social requirements.
- To build and maintain good working relationships while maintaining a professional image.
- To keep confidential any information gained regarding the Club and its personnel.
- To maintain a flexible approach to work at all times.
Person Specification – Essential Characteristics
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with an ability to inspire and motivate others.
- Competent with Microsoft Office packages, particularly Word and Outlook
- Confident working alongside senior management.
- Experience being a Head or Deputy Grounds person and managing a team within sporting environments.
- NVQ L3 qualification in sports turf, green keeping and groundsmanship or equivalent.
- A self-starter with a high level of initiative, proactivity, and assertive approach
- Uses initiative with minimal supervision including in challenging situations.
- Can manage a heavy workload with strict deadlines.
- A clean UK driving license, to allow for travel to and from the stadium and training ground.
- Flexible and willing to take on ad-hoc tasks as this role will require evening and weekend working as to accommodate the Gtech Stadium fixtures.
- Comfortable working independently and as part of a team.
- Attention to detail and excellent timekeepers.
Interested? Apply here