Job Title: Grounds Person – Apprenticeship
(Sports Turf Operative Level 2)
Duration of course: 24 months
Reporting: Head of Grounds / Deputy Head of Grounds Brentford FC
Location: Club Estates
Salary: £10.18 per hour (£18,200 per annum full time equivalent)
Closing date: 30 November 2023
Brentford FC is a bit different to other Premier League football clubs. We put our fans first, we are a true community club and while we are financially sustainable, we are not afraid to take calculated risks. We take huge pride in our environment and culture within the Club which focuses on development, inclusion and not being afraid to think differently.
Being progressive, humble and respectful while sticking together as one team across the Club guides how we work and the decisions we make each day.
We also firmly believe that a diverse workforce is a better workforce which will help us develop ideas, solve problems and ultimately grow Brentford FC.
We play in a brand-new stadium, 15 minutes from Heathrow in vibrant west London.
We will never forget where we have come from, but we are excited about the future that lies ahead.
Come join us.
Brentford FC is an organisation which values and is passionate about diversity and inclusivity. Whilst our recruitment decisions are always based on merit and suitability, we welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates, including those from underrepresented groups – such as those from ethnically diverse backgrounds, women, those from the LGBTQ+ community and those with disabilities.
Brentford FC is committed to equality, the safeguarding and welfare of all children and adults at risk. This responsibility is shared by all staff and volunteers at the club, safeguarding is everyone’s responsibility. Staff will be required to undertake regular safeguarding training to enable and reinforce a proactive approach to safeguarding. This role requires the post holder to apply all relevant policies and uphold the club’s commitment to safeguarding vulnerable people to ensure a safe environment for all. This includes the timely reporting of any safeguarding concern to the safeguarding team.
The role of the Sports Turf Operative (Apprenticeship)
We are seeking a Grounds Person/Sports Turf Operative to join our dynamic team. This apprenticeship programme has been designed to provide the appropriate candidate with practical hands-on work experience and valuable skills and knowledge within the Grounds department which can equip you with the skills needed to start your career in the field. This is a vital role at Brentford FC – we aim to have the best training ground pitches in the Premier League, and we are committed to continuing to invest in this area over the coming seasons.
You will acquire the following skills during your apprenticeship:
- Assist with the undertaking general maintenance operations associated with football pitch management
- Supporting on devoting and repairing football pitches after games and training sessions
- Setting up, preparing and maintaining pitches to a high standard using tractors and machinery with guidance
- Setting and marking out of pitches and technical areas
- Applying various fertilisers using a tractor mounted spreader or pedestrian spreader with guidance
- Irrigation management
- Assist with mini renovations using relevant equipment and processes
- Maintain the machinery by performing repairs or contracting maintenance services as needed
- Track pitch usage and upkeep as well as pitch testing, moisture readings, firmness, cut height and other specifics for preparing weekly reports for Head/ Deputy Head Grounds person and communication for weekly schedules
- Keep the surrounding grounds properly cared for and landscaped
- Work within a ground staff team to ensure that the Club is able to meet its target of delivering a world-class training ground pitches
- Ensure facilities and practices meet health and safety requirements and that they comply with legislation
- This job description does not contain all the duties and responsibilities that may arise in this role, and you will need to undertake other duties as instructed or on initiative to ensure a safe operational functioning
- Expectation is to work at least 1 in 4 weekends as per working rota
- A basic DBS will be required for the role
What you need
- Maths and English GCSE OR willing to take functional skills Maths and English* alongside apprenticeship studies.
- Basic English written and verbal communication skills.
- Basic Microsoft Office packages, particularly Word and Outlook
- Enthusiasm, initiative, and proactivity
- Understand and work towards deadline.
- Ability to travel to and from the stadium, training ground and other Brentford FC ground sites
- Flexibility and willing to take on ad-hoc tasks as this role will require weekend working as to accommodate requirements at multiple locations
- Comfortable working independently and as part of a team
Training and Qualification
After completing the apprenticeship, you will gain the following:
- Sports Turf Operative Level 2 certification, accredited by KEITS (apprenticeship provider)
General Club Accountabilities
- To ensure compliance with all relevant Club policies, including health and safety policies and with specific reference to the data regulations (GDRP and PECR)
- To ensure compliance with all relevant legal, regulatory, ethical and social requirements
- To build and maintain good working relationships both internally and externally, maintaining a professional image at all times when representing Brentford FC
- To keep confidential any information gained regarding the Club and its personnel
- To maintain a flexible approach to work at all times
Person Specification – Essential Personal Characteristics
- Basic written and verbal communication skills
- Flexible and willing to take on ad-hoc tasks
- Able and willing to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends
- Maths and English Functional skills qualification or to be completed alongside apprenticeship
For more information, please click here.